Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Top Ten Tips for Cost-Effective Online Searching
1. ABOVE ALL - ALLOW NO DISTRACTIONS
- The meter is running
- Close your door
- Turn off your phone
2. Know your issue
- Never begin with a key word case search
- Do some background research to become familiar with your topic
- See the Secondary Sources Tab of this Guide
- Do you know what the acronymns stand for?
- Are there terms of art you need to look up?
3. Write down your search statement on paper
- Start with a plan
- What will you do if you find too much?
- What will you do if you find too little?
4. When in doubt call customer service. All three companies have 24/7 toll-free phone numbers:
- LEXIS (800) 543-6862 (menu option 1)
- Westlaw (800) REF-ATTY
- BloombergLaw (888) 560-2529
- narrow down by jurisdiction
- narrow down by type of material
6. Change the display order
- Relevance may not the best way to view a list
- Change to Date-newest first or Most Cited
7. Too much is better than too little - Start broad and narrow down
8. Observe the 15 minute rule of thumb
- if you haven't found anything relevant within 15 minutes STOP
- more time won't help
- log off and regroup
9. Print sparingly
10. Understand the charges
- No matter what the pricing plan, start with a BROAD search and stay within it.
- Flat-rate plan or
Be practice-ready with the LexisNexis® Prepare to Practice program
As a summer or new associate, partners and senior associates will expect you to be able to fulfill their research and drafting requests with accuracy and efficiency. To ensure you have the know-how you need to be a successful summer associate, complete Prepare to Practice, a LexisNexis® training program for law students that have secured summer associate positions.
Live Webinar Schedule & Resources
For each webinar that you are interested in attending, please follow the link and register. Registration is required, and will provide you with a calendar invite and reminder emails. All live webinars will be hosted via WebEx and will be recorded.